MLB Betting Tips and Trends: New York Yankees at Toronto Blue Jays
Thursday, May 17, 2012
by Mike Stewart
The goal for New York Yankees starter Phil Hughes is to keep the ball in the park when the Yankees face Toronto Blue Jays in the finale of a two-game series. The Blue Jays blasted four long balls in an 8-1 home victory over the Yankees in the series opener and are tied for fourth in the majors with 48 homers. Opposing offenses going deep against the Yankees is nothing new: New York pitchers have surrendered 47 homers, second-most in the majors.
New York mustered only three hits in the series opener. Shortstop Derek Jeter got the night off Wednesday, the first game the 37-year-old has missed this season. Jeter is third in the majors in batting average at .366. Toronto can move past the Yankees into third place in the American League East with a victory.
After a difficult early season, Hughes has posted consecutive quality starts. Saturday against Seattle, Hughes gave up only one run on six hits in 7 2/3 innings, throwing 70 of his 112 pitches for strikes. Hutchison won for the first time since his big-league debut April 21 in his last start, holding Minnesota to three hits and one run in six innings Saturday. He walked a season-high four hitters but lowered his ERA from 6.65 to 5.53.
1. Toronto third baseman Brett Lawrie received a four-game suspension for slamming his helmet in the direction of home plate umpire Bill Miller Tuesday. Lawrie, who will appeal the suspension, also was fined an undisclosed amount.
2. Hughes recorded two outs in the eighth inning in his last start, only the third time since the start of 2010 the right-hander has retired a hitter in the eighth inning.
3. At the start of play Wednesday, Jeter led the majors in hits with 56.
Recent Trends on New York:
- Under is 6-2-1 in NYY last 9 road games.
Recent Trends on Toronto:
- TOR are 6-2 in their last 8 Thu. games.
- Over is 11-4-1 in TOR last 16 Thu. games.
- Over is 10-4-1 in TOR last 15 home games.
Head to Head:
- NYY are 7-2 in Hughes' last 9 starts vs. TOR.
- September 30th MLB Predictions: New York Yankees vs Toronto Blue Jays
- MLB Baseball Picks: Toronto Blue Jays vs New York Yankees
- MLB Las Vegas Odds and Lines: New York Yankees vs Toronto Blue Jays
- MLB Baseball Preview: New York Yankees at Toronto Blue Jays
- Baseball Predictions and Odds: New York Yankees at Toronto Blue Jays